Saturday 23 January 2010

Away We Go

For some reason my blog was in Svenska as I was singing in. It was relatively amusing. And by relatively I mean not as funny as something that is actually funny but probably the funniest thing that is going to happen to me on this godawful train journey. I have been travelling, worldwide, from a young age and therefore developed coping mechanisms for long journeys years ago. I find that these days they are of decreasing use to me. Because part of the fun of those journeys was going abroad. This train journey just takes me to Newcastle. Now don't get me wrong, I do like Newcastle. But I just like home that little bit more. Plus, as my mum astutley pointed out, whenever I go back to Newcastle it's to do work so I'm never going to be rushing out the door to get back. Although I am doing a module on documentary this semester that's largely practical so that's a tad exciting. Anyway. I am on a train. I think that is the gist of this.

So, I said I would talk about 'Up in the Air' in my last post. When did I watch that? Oh right, Wednesday. I really enjoyed it. I know some who haven't...and fair enough, it's very depressing at the end, especially for the single and unemployed. The structure of the film is a little disappointing; the first two thirds are very funny and the last third is rather bleak. By the end all the good feeling of the funny parts is gone and you're just left questioning the futility of your life and wondering if you'll ever be financially secure/married/both. It's also a shame that they did not utilise the more excellent members of the cast. Zach Galifinakis, Danny McBride and J.K. Simmons are not in it nearly enough! Especially Simmons who is just one of the greatest comic actors as far as I'm concerned. However, the film does showcase Anna Kendrick who completely holds her own against Clooney and was really quite brilliant. Anyway, it's a good film. You should see it. Expect to laugh, but don't expect to leave the cinema feeling remotely happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment